#SongoftheDay Vesti la giubba (from Pagliacci, performed by Luciano Pavarotti)

After listening to Tears of a Clown yesterday, how could we not play this well-known aria (is it an aria?) from Pagliacci? Pagliacci is, after all, referenced in Tears of a Clown. The two songs have a lot in common--the theme of putting on a face to perform in public after suffering a heartbreak.

I'll tell you outright: I feel out of my depth talking about opera. This, despite being a person with an honest-to-god opera subscription. For real. I go to the opera all the time. I love opera. There are a few opera I feel like I can talk about with confidence, but the snobbism that exists in this realm really keeps me from wanting to say anything at all.

Even though Pagliacci is a really famous opera, I've never seen it and I know next to nothing about it. Before looking it up, I had no idea the opera was written by Ruggero Leoncavallo. I don't even know who that is. It's an Italian opera from the late 1800s.

After watching this Pavarotti clip, boy, do I want to see it. But I'm not an expert, so I don't want anyone reading this to feel intimidated by opera. I go to the opera all the time and I still feel stupid talking about it. No one knows everything.

I looked up the words being sung, because I'm not familiar. Here's an English translation:

To act! While out of my mind,
I no longer know what I say,
or what I do!
And yet it's necessary... make an effort!
Bah! Are you not a man?
You are Pagliaccio!

Put on your costume,
powder your face.
The people pay to be here, and they want to laugh.
And if Harlequin shall steal your Columbine,
laugh, Pagliaccio, so the crowd will cheer!
Turn your distress and tears into jest,
your pain and sobbing into a funny face - Ah!

Laugh, Pagliaccio,
at your broken love!
Laugh at the grief that poisons your heart!



If you're wondering how you can support me in bringing you songs and visits every day, the easiest thing you can do is tell your friends about the site. Tell anyone you know--particularly people who are isolated and enjoy music.

Readers of adult fiction can also buy my books or check them out from your local library. Supporting my AudioErotica endeavour on Patreon would also help me hugely!

But you don't HAVE to do any of that. I'm very happy to get a daily visit from you, so just keep coming back.

Oh, and I also recommend hitting the "Subscribe" button at the top of the page so you won't miss a song!

See you tomorrow!
Giselle

Popular posts from this blog

#SongoftheDay Looks Like Meringue (John Scofield)

#SongoftheDay Ice Cream (Sarah McLachlan)

#SongoftheDay Self Control (Laura Branigan)

#SongoftheDay Asshole (Denis Leary)

#SongoftheDay You Light Up My Life (Whitney Houston)

#SongoftheDay If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake (Ethel Merman, Ray Bolger)

#SongoftheDay In the Year 2525 (Zager and Evans)

#SongoftheDay The Rosemary and Thyme Caprice (John Williams)

#SongoftheDay Julie Christie (Lorraine Bowen)

#SongoftheDay Cornflake Girl (Tori Amos)