#SongoftheDay Let's Turkey Trot (Little Eva)

I promised you a story about a frozen turkey, so here it is. If you've read my story about the watermelon, this is basically the same story. There are a few exceptions, the main one (in my mind) being that my partner wasn't there for the watermelon, but he was there for the turkey.

My partner and I were shopping together when I noticed an elderly woman trying (unsuccessfully) to pick up a frozen turkey.

So I went over to her and asked if I could help.

She told me she'd tried to pick up a frozen turkey by its tag, but the tag had ripped off in her hand and she couldn't lift the bird. I told her I would do it for her and then, of course, I couldn't. Lifting a frozen turkey is something I could have done easily prior to living with chronic illness. I was very strong. I probably could have juggled them, if I knew how to juggle.

But now I'm weak and I can't lift birds.

My partner hadn't noticed that I'd veered off to help this woman, so he was halfway across the store. I don't think I'd have asked for his help at that stage, because he had just completed his course of cancer treatment and he was very weak and fatigued from the radiation.

Anyway, I just kept trying until I managed to lift the turkey into the woman's cart. She was very grateful. I was exhausted, but glad I could help, even if it took forever. It's not like anyone else was offering to help, were they?

At the end of my watermelon story, I left you with the question, "Why is it always the disabled helping the disabled?" 

When I asked my partner, he kind of sidestepped by saying, "I don't think people generally notice when others need help." He used this instance as an example: I noticed the woman needed help with her turkey, but my partner was there too and he didn't notice.

So I started thinking about that. I noticed. I ALWAYS notice. That's why I'm constantly asking people if I can give them a hand: because I'm constantly noticing that people need help.

But my partner is an incredibly caring person. It would be easy to say he doesn't notice that others need help because he just doesn't care, but he absolutely does care. He is moved to tears by stories of kindness. If you tell him a story about kindness, I guarantee he will cry. You can bet on it.

We're both kind people. We both appreciate kindness. But my partner does not have PTSD. And I do. And people who have PTSD tend to be extremely aware of our environments. I don't mean to generalize or oversimplify, but 100% of us do this 100% of the time. We are always on the lookout for danger.

This is my theory: often, when I'm scanning the world for dangers in my midst, I notice people who could use some assisstance. I don't know what it's like to be a person who doesn't have PTSD, but my partner tells me that he isn't constantly scanning the world for danger. I'm guessing this is why I realize people around me need help more often than my partner does: I am hyperaware of my environment, and he isn't. 

I guess that doesn't explain why it seems like it's always the disabled helping the disabled. It really only explains why I'm always helping... well, anyone who looks like they need it, really. Many years ago, I helped a group of young men carry a dining set from the subway to their first apartment.

But that's a story for another day.   


If you're wondering how you can support me in bringing you songs and anecdotes, the easiest thing you can do is buy my books (most are for adults only!) or check them out from your local library. 

See you soon!

Giselle


Popular posts from this blog

#SongoftheDay Can't Get You Out of My Head (Kylie Minogue)

#SongoftheDay I Can't Stand The Rain (Eruption ft. Precious Wilson)

#SongoftheDay Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac)

#SongoftheDay The Shape of Water (Alexandre Desplat)

#SongoftheDay Moments to Remember (The Four Lads)

#SongoftheDay Really Wanna Let You Down (Monowhales)

#SongoftheDay All Things Bright and Beautiful (Singapore Symphony Children's Choir)

#SongoftheDay Car Wash (Rose Royce)

#SongoftheDay Are You Serious (Andrew Bird)