#SongoftheDay I Haven't Got Time to Cry (Irma Thomas)

Over the past few years, I've narrated audiobook versions of more than a dozen of my books and probably hundreds of short stories. Then chronic illness started taking over my life and stealing away my ability to do the simplest things.

Not that voice acting is simple. It isn't. It actually requires a ton of physical energy, which I no longer have.

The last book I recorded was my novella Cherry. That took me more than six months to record. It was incredibly challenging. Recording in the makeshift studio in my one-bedroom apartment was always tricky, but now I'm coming up against the limitations of my own body, and that makes me feel helpless and hopeless.

I didn't record anything for a while.

And then I decided I wanted to put my own voice behind the audio version of my little book Brand New Sexy Surprises. Six short stories. I figured I could handle that.

So I put together the studio I had disassembled when my partner was undergoing cancer treatment and we were spending all our time in my small apartment. I started recording and... my god, is that what I sound like now? Old and sick? 

I'm not that old (only in my 40s--not old at all, according to some), but I am chronically ill and my illness has clearly taken its toll. 

I've talked about seeing myself in the mirror recently and being shocked by how sick and old and gaunt I look. This was the vocal equivalent of that. I sound much worse than I thought I did.

Recording audio while struggling with pain, weakness, and fatigue was never an attractive prospect, but now that I know how I sound these days? I'm really not sure it's worth the effort.


If you're wondering how you can support me in bringing you songs and anecdotes, the easiest thing you can do is buy my books (most are for adults only!) or check them out from your local library. 

Supporting my AudioErotica endeavour on Patreon would also help me hugely.

I'm also an Amazon Influencer, so hopefully I can make a little pocket change when you buy stuff by clicking through my affiliate links.

I also recommend subscribing to my newsletter. I generally e-mail subscribers with a weekly update, and I would LOVE to have you on the list. 

Click here to sign up: http://eepurl.com/R4b11


See you soon!
Giselle


Popular posts from this blog

#SongoftheDay Run With Us (Lisa Loughead)

#SongoftheDay Gently Johnny from The Wicker Man

#SongoftheDay Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes (Paul Robeson)

#SongoftheDay The Band Played On (Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians)

#SongoftheDay Take Me Home (Phil Collins)

#SongoftheDay Here's That Rainy Day (Wes Montgomery)

#SongoftheDay Blue Skies (Ella Fitzgerald)

#SongoftheDay Let's Turkey Trot (Little Eva)

#SongoftheDay Take a Letter, Maria (R.B. Greaves)

#SongoftheDay Can't Get You Out of My Head (Kylie Minogue)