#SongoftheDay Play It On My Radio (Niki & The Dove)

This song reminds me of two things: Cyndi Lauper and the day I moved into my first apartment.

I was in university when I moved out on my own. It was a big deal because I had a lot of familial responsibilities, including cooking and cleaning and childcare. But I was young and I wanted to have sex any time, day or night, and people didn't do that in their parents' houses back then (not if they had big families, certainly!), so the prospect of sex compelled me to seek out new accommodations.

My first apartment was tiny. Everyone says that, I know, and I remember my Russian landlord telling me, "When I was in university, 6 of us shared a flat this big! We slept side by side on the floor!"

Well, I didn't have to sleep on the floor, thankfully. The married man I was involved with drove me to Ikea, where I bought a futon mattress (which I still have, stuffed into the back of a closet) and frame (which I'm still using as a bed frame).

Aside from that futon, what did I have?  Only the two items I'd brought with me on the bus: a bag of clothes and toiletries + my Sony boombox (which I also still have, though the only component that still functions is... the radio).

Coming from a large family and being used to a bustling household, that first night alone was unsettling. I slept with the futon in its upright position because I was too afraid to lay it flat.  I needed the comfort of having that wall of futon at my back, like a protector.

All I had for company was my radio, and thank god for radio. Twenty years ago, there were still radio hosts on air throughout the night.  That's who kept me company during those first days in my lonely little apartment. I can't fully explain the sadness I've felt over the years, as all-night hosted programs have been dropped and replaced with a steady drone of uninterrupted music. It's like losing friend after friend to the darkness of night.

A voice in the darkness. That's what got me through. I miss it so much.



If you're wondering how you can support me in bringing you songs and visits every day, the easiest thing you can do is tell your friends about the site. Tell anyone you know--particularly people who are isolated and enjoy music.

Readers of adult fiction can also buy my books or check them out from your local library. Supporting my AudioErotica endeavour on Patreon would also help me hugely!

But you don't HAVE to do any of that. I'm very happy to get a daily visit from you, so just keep coming back.

Oh, and I also recommend hitting the "Subscribe" button at the top of the page so you won't miss a song!

See you tomorrow!
Giselle

Popular posts from this blog

#SongoftheDay Looks Like Meringue (John Scofield)

#SongoftheDay Ice Cream (Sarah McLachlan)

#SongoftheDay Self Control (Laura Branigan)

#SongoftheDay Asshole (Denis Leary)

#SongoftheDay You Light Up My Life (Whitney Houston)

#SongoftheDay If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake (Ethel Merman, Ray Bolger)

#SongoftheDay In the Year 2525 (Zager and Evans)

#SongoftheDay The Rosemary and Thyme Caprice (John Williams)

#SongoftheDay Julie Christie (Lorraine Bowen)

#SongoftheDay Cornflake Girl (Tori Amos)