#SongoftheDay I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair (from South Pacific)

This song will forever remind me of my mother, because I remember her often telling me she was in the chorus of her high school's production of South Pacific. Then she'd sing a few bars from this song. Which is kind of funny, because she never managed to wash that man out of her hair.

My father's been dead for well over a decade. My parents divorced more than a quarter of a century ago. And still my mother carries a torch for my dad.

Which probably sounds sweet, except that my father was horribly abusive--physically, emotionally, and I suspect in other ways.

A few years ago, my mother told me she still holds out hope that some man will come along on his white horse and sweep her off her feet. I couldn't believe it when I pulled up this clip of South Pacific (a film I'm not sure I've ever seen) and there's a dude on a white horse! Maybe that's where she swiped the image from.

This probably sounds awful, but a big part of me is glad White Horse Man never came along.

I worked in a shelter for women and children escaping domestic violence for more than a decade, and programming was provided that allowed women to learn more about things like the cycle of violence and transgenerational trauma. My mother doesn't believe in trauma. She got out of a bad marriage to protect us kids, but she still adores my father--and her own father, who was also an abuser (he actually tried to murder her when she was a child).

It would be great if my mom could be happy with another man, but without doing the work, I suspect any White Horse Man she pulled into her life would turn out to be a monster in disguise. The most troubling part is that I don't think my mother would mind. She once told me that, if it hadn't been for us kids, she would have stayed with my dad forever.

How's that for troubling?



If you're wondering how you can support me in bringing you songs and visits every day, the easiest thing you can do is tell your friends about the site. Tell anyone you know--particularly people who are isolated and enjoy music.

Readers of adult fiction can also buy my books or check them out from your local library. Supporting my AudioErotica endeavour on Patreon would also help me hugely!

But you don't HAVE to do any of that. I'm very happy to get a daily visit from you, so just keep coming back.

Oh, and I also recommend hitting the "Subscribe" button at the top of the page so you won't miss a song!

See you tomorrow!
Giselle

Popular posts from this blog

#SongoftheDay Log Driver's Waltz (Kate and Anna McGarrigle)

Goldfinger (Shirley Bassey)

#SongoftheDay The Last Unicorn (America)

#SongoftheDay Hold Me Now (Thompson Twins)

#SongoftheDay This Is How We Do It (Montell Jordan)

#SongoftheDay Broken Wings (Mr. Mister)

#SongoftheDay Run With Us (Lisa Loughead)

#SongoftheDay Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes (Paul Robeson)

#SongoftheDay Come and Get Your Love (Redbone on Soul Train)

#SongoftheDay Blue Skies (Ella Fitzgerald)