#SongoftheDay These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (Nancy Sinatra)

One time I asked my mom, "What's your favourite song?"

This was the song she picked.

I asked her why she liked it so much and she said, "It's about being a strong woman and standing on your own two feet."

That really surprised me, because I'd always viewed my mother as a meek little doormat. Unfairly, perhaps, because she did ultimately leave my abusive alcoholic father. I think it's the fact that it took many years of family violence for her to make that decision that led myself and my siblings to feel so betrayed and unsafe.

But I shouldn't minimize the steps my mother took and the sacrifices she made to keep us safe. I have two siblings in particular who say it was too little, too late--we were already damaged beyond repair, by that stage--but we're still alive, and that's something.

Yes, we were in harm's way for a long time, but my mother's got such a sunny disposition. I don't think she figured anything really bad would ever happen to us kids. The physical abuse mostly went to her... although I've read studies recently that found children who grew up observing domestic violence are fucked up in the same way as kids who were themselves victims of physical abuse. Hard to believe.

I don't know where I'm going with this.  Enjoy my mom's favourite song:



If you're wondering how you can support me in bringing you songs and visits every day, the easiest thing you can do is tell your friends about the site. Tell anyone you know--particularly people who are isolated and enjoy music.

Readers of adult fiction can also buy my books or check them out from your local library. Supporting my AudioErotica endeavour on Patreon would also help me hugely!

But you don't HAVE to do any of that. I'm very happy to get a daily visit from you, so just keep coming back.

Oh, and I also recommend hitting the "Subscribe" button at the top of the page so you won't miss a song!

See you tomorrow!
Giselle

Popular posts from this blog

#SongoftheDay Looks Like Meringue (John Scofield)

#SongoftheDay Ice Cream (Sarah McLachlan)

#SongoftheDay Self Control (Laura Branigan)

#SongoftheDay Bad Girls (Donna Summer)

#SongoftheDay You Light Up My Life (Whitney Houston)

#SongoftheDay Asshole (Denis Leary)

#SongoftheDay If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake (Ethel Merman, Ray Bolger)

#SongoftheDay In the Year 2525 (Zager and Evans)

#SongoftheDay The Rosemary and Thyme Caprice (John Williams)

#SongoftheDay Julie Christie (Lorraine Bowen)