#SongoftheDay Drinking in L.A. (Bran Van 3000)

I love this song so much that I play it for everyone. The reaction is always the same: they give me this blank stare and ask, "This song? You love this song?" Nobody seems to get it.

Maybe it's the kind of tune that appeals mostly to writers and other creatives.

Even though it's about drinking in L.A. at 26, it speaks to me as much now, as a midlife crisis person, as it would have when I was experiencing my quarter-life crisis in my mid-twenties.

Strangely enough, I became a writer at that stage. I'd been working in business and I knew I couldn't spend the rest of my days toadying to rich asshole clients. I needed to do something different.

Now I'm closing in on 40, having spent all this time writing professionally. I'm pleased to say I'm coming out the other side of the career portion of my midlife crisis. Eight to ten months ago, I'd pretty much stopped working because it just seemed so pointless. Old work was selling, but everything new I released fell flat on its face. I was like... why am I writing books nobody's going to read?

Okay, not nobody. Maybe 2 people. Maybe 7.

At that stage, all I would do in a day is wash dishes and watch Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I'm not exaggerating when I say that show kept me alive--it's kept me alive through quite a few periods of deep depression.

I am so appreciative that MST3K was created, because it gets me through a lot of my days. When I realized how much it meant to me, I thought... you know, those 2 people or 7 people who actually read my books... maybe they feel the same way about my work that I feel about MST3K.

I don't know that to be true, but it keeps me writing.



If you're wondering how you can support me in bringing you songs and visits every day, the easiest thing you can do is tell your friends about the site. Tell anyone you know--particularly people who are isolated and enjoy music.

Readers of adult fiction can also buy my books or check them out from your local library. Supporting my AudioErotica endeavour on Patreon would also help me hugely!

But you don't HAVE to do any of that. I'm very happy to get a daily visit from you, so just keep coming back.

Oh, and I also recommend hitting the "Subscribe" button at the top of the page so you won't miss a song!

See you tomorrow!
Giselle

Popular posts from this blog

#SongoftheDay Ladies Night (Kool and the Gang)

#SongoftheDay Blue Velvet (Bobby Vinton)

#SongoftheDay You've Made Me So Very Happy (Blood, Sweat and Tears)

#SongoftheDay Girls on Film (Duran Duran)

#SongoftheDay A Bushel and a Peck (Sharon, Lois and Bram)

#SongoftheDay Press My Button (Lil Johnson)

#SongoftheDay Hideaway (Randy Moore and Cindy Smith)

#SongoftheDay Postman's Knock (The Albion Band)

#SongoftheDay Asshole (Denis Leary)

Time Out